Saturday, April 4, 2009

Children's Painting & Story of Jonah in the Belly of the Fish


A dear friend gave me a book full of children's painting corresponding with Bible stories, written by Madeleine L'engle. Here is one of my favorite excerpts:

A conversation between Jonah and the Whale:

Whale: Realizing that the preparations of God. Are to most of his creatures thoroughly inconceivable, I have learned easily to believe the unbelievable, And to accept without question the peculiarity of God's choice. Though frankly, Jonah, if I were the Lord, I would never have chosen you to be a mouth piece for my voice.

Jonah: Are you casting aspersions on my abilty as a prophet? Who are you to think you can speak like God?

Whale: How else should God speak except through his own creation? All creatures great or weak live through his contemplation. He will not lose sight of anyone whom he may seek.

Jonah: Big fish, your hide is extremely opaque.

Whale: Hush. I have a frightful bellyache. I know, O prophet, that GOd works in mysterious ways his wonders to perform, But I can't see you convincing anyone in Neneveh he's doing any harm.

Jonah: (Roaring) Are you questioning my reputation as a prophet?

Whale: Weren't you fleeing from the Lord, and incidentally Nineveh, when you were tossed into the sea? That's hardly prophetlike behaivor if you ask me.

Jonah: I didn't. Let me out!

Whale: Be quiet, Jonah. I shall not allow you to interfere with God's ways. I'm not as lenient as he is, and you will stay in my belly the full three days. On the very borders of that land from which in thy foolishness thou scurried, As a crab, will I vomit thee forth. But I will not be hurried.

1 comment: